Saturday, April 9, 2011

Uncool is the New Cool

Reruns of Veronica Mars (featured above) have got me thinking.

Someone please tell me why it's so cool to be "cool". You'd think the high school/college cool groups would have died out by now, right? I mean, TV makes fun of them enough. But no, there is still the "cool" -- at least, the people who think they're cool -- and the "uncool".

What exactly makes you cool, though? Is it the underage drinking and partying? Some people seem to think so. I don't see the appeal. Is it that it makes you seem mature? Look at me, all cool and mature, getting wasted...And acting stupid...and acting immature...?

Just be yourself. I'd say that's the number one. It's never cool pretending to be something you're not. That will only attract the wrong kind of people. And even though it sounds cliche, hanging with the wrong crowd really does have a negative effect. Surround yourself with people who actually like you for you and can be a positive influence in your life. It's important to have at least one person who will call you out on it when you're acting up -- my BFF does an awesome job at that.

Don't feel like giving in to peer pressure and wasting your time to fit in with the cool kids? Embrace being part of the uncool - that's the real "cool".

No comments:

Post a Comment